Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector

What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous, poisonous gas that kills hundreds of people each year and injures thousands. The most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning are poorly fitted or maintained domestic fossil-fuel-burning heating appliances, such as boilers, gas fires etc. It is often referred to as the silent killer because it has no odour or taste and cannot be seen which makes it HIGHLY dangerous. Like oxygen, CO enters the body through the lungs during the normal breathing process. It competes with oxygen by replacing it in the red blood cells, thereby reducing the flow of oxygen to the heart, brain and other vital organs. In high concentrations, CO can kill in minutes.

What can the symptoms be for Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning?

  • Simply described as flue like symptoms usually less the fever
  • Nausea
  • Blurry Vision
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Disorientation
  • Headaches
  • Passing Out
  • Rapid Heartbeat
  • Respiratory Failure
  • Seizure
  • Hearing Loss
  • And possibly
  • Cardiac Arrest
  • Coma

Why Do You Need an Alarm?

Many cases of reported carbon monoxide poisoning indicate that while victims are aware they are not feeling well, they become disorientated and unable to save themselves by either exiting the building or calling for assistance. Exposure during sleep is particularly dangerous because the victim usually does not wake up. Children and the elderly are particularly susceptible to CO. CO exposure can lead to miscarriages and stillbirths in pregnant women. A carbon monoxide alarm should be installed in any room that has a fuel burning appliance. It has even become mandatory to fit co alarms with certain appliances and all new builds in some areas.